Sunday, May 22, 2011

Stop the Silence

Stop the Silence 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament took place on Saturday, May 21 and May 22, 2011. I was asked by Amanda Avila from Prima Civitas to be the photographer for the event.

I arrived at 10:00AM and after 1300+ pictures and a plethora of memories, I couldn't wait to show off some of the photos and help to do my part in spreading the message of Amaia Edmond's memorial and legacy with everyone.

I was asked to take action pictures of the 3 on 3 tournament, pictures of the vendors and the speakers so that a video compilation could be pieced together and also used for pursuing grants for next year's funding.








Having a seven year old now, it broke my heart to learn that somebody could take such an innocent little life in an act of senseless violence. I felt a lump in my throat as I listened to John Edmond speak to the parents, "hold on to your children, hug them, touch them and love them."

The Mayor of Lansing, Virg Bernero, also participated in the 3 on 3 Stop the Silence Basketball Tournament. I caught him on his way into Sexton High School for two pictures, one that I have since uploaded to my Linked In, Facebook and Twitter accounts and also one for helping out.



Mayor Bernero gave a speech inside and also outside regarding the community coming together and the importance of stopping the silence.



The kids had a lot of activities for them in addition to the basketball games. Raindrop the Clown provided face painting, the City of Lansing brought out an inflatable obstacle course and the City police brought out a puppy who will be a future canine unit dog.





A group of three little boys decided to take on James Walker in a game of 3 on 1 basketball.





We had a decent turn out this year, but we are hoping for an even bigger turnout next year. The Stop the Silence, Keep the Peace will be an annual event. Hope to see you out there next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment